[josm-dev] Validator patch for overlapping ways

Roy Rankin rrankin at ihug.com.au
Wed May 21 11:34:39 BST 2008

I have submitted a patch to TRAC, ticket 774. The following is from the
report:

regards,
Roy Rankin

This patch does two things. First, redundant overlapping ways are only
reported once, and secondly, overlapping highways and railways are
reported separately. The current overlapping way test returns a set of
ways for each way segment that overlaps. This means that sets of ways
can be returned several times. In my Sydney Australia test data from OSM
the current validator returns 408 overlapping occurrences caused by 172
sets of ways. This patch causes only the 172 sets of ways to be reported
while still marking all overlapping way segments in the validation layer.

After using the JOSM editor and validator for about a month, I
understand that overlapping highways and railways almost always need to
be fixed, but overlapping areas, such as land use areas with a common
border, tend not to be a big issue. This patch thus causes overlapping
highways and railways to be reported separately.

I have done some timings on the test data I mentioned above, and the
patch seems to speed up rather than slow down the validator.