[josm-dev] JOSM Translations

Marcin Floryan mfloryan at mm.waw.pl
Tue Oct 28 15:22:03 GMT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:03:56AM +0200, Dirk Stöcker wrote:

> > If this is a general consensus then is there anyone taking up this task?
> > I am willing to volunteer for this one.
>
> When you create the infrastructure to have the translation stuff in main
> core - Fine. Thought we also need a way to interlink the language plugin
> SVN structure as it is now with the new system, as I would not like to
> move translation into JOSM core SVN (restricted write access, you know).

I have done and tested the changes listed below. The results is that
there is no longer need for any translation plugins and i18n is
integrated into josm-core. There is also an appropriate link between the
two SVN repositories.

The pending changes are:

1.) The plugins/lang directory is removed
(http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/josm/plugins/lang)
2.) A new directory "i18n" is created
(http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/josm/i18n)
3.) The new directory contains all .po files and necessary build scripts
4.) As a result of build in that directory a new .jar file is created
    and copied to the core/lib directory
(http://josm.openstreetmap.de/svn/trunk/lib/josm-translation.jar)
5.) The core build process is modified to include the new jar file
6.) The MainApplications.java is modified to init the I18n.i18n

This way people can keep maintaining the .po files in the current SVN
repository and easily build and test translations for JOSM but changes
to the core repository can be committed separately and distributed
independently.

Now translations will be shown appropriately to the users' default
locale and can still be overridden with the --language parameter. It
would be easy as well to add language selection to properties.

If people are happy with this approach I can commit the changes.

Regards,
--
Marcin Floryan
http://marcin.floryan.pl/ [GPG Key ID: 0D5581C5]