[josm-dev] Automatic tiles downloading in WMSPlugin

Petr Dlouhý petr.dlouhy at email.cz
Mon Sep 1 21:20:44 BST 2008

Hello again,

I implemented load, save (but the files are incompatible with current
version), start automatic downloading, stop automatic downloading. I also
implemented synchronization between threads, so only one tile is
downloaded at the moment. I integrated Yahoo support (read further). I,
again, would like, if somebody could test my changes.
New version can be downloaded from:
http://stary.czp.cuni.cz/petr/wmsplugin-3.tar.bz2
http://stary.czp.cuni.cz/petr/wmsplugin-3.patch
http://stary.czp.cuni.cz/petr/wmsplugin-3.jar

I realize, that ywms plugin is not working after my changes. It is almost
impossible (or at least very problematic) to rewrite ywms to be able to
accept more requests in one moment (at least with Firefox). Other problem
is, that the plugin used dirty hack for Firefox, which is not present in
version 3, so the plugin needs to be rewritten anyway. Because of this I
decided to integrate Yahoo support to wmsplugin. It is much simpler than
ywms (it's implemented as new grabber). What didn't change is that I am
still using Yahoo web API, so I hope, I am still complying their
conditions.
To render the pages I am using "gnome-web-photo" application, which simply
saves the png image of the website to file. The problem is, that this
application is only for Linux. I need to find similar application for
Windows, so if somebody knows about it, please write me.

I would like to commit my changes, so my plan is following:
1) I will commit the changes to wmsplugin SVN.
2) I will commit the jar file to
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/josm/dist/awmsplugin.jar
so the old plugin will remain
3) I will write item on https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Plugins for my
plugin. Something like "this plugin is experimental version of wmsplugin,
so please don't use them together"
4) When the quality of the plugin raise enough, my plugin will be marked
as "stable" and the current wmsplugin and ywmsp will be marked as
"abandoned".
If there will be no complains, I will start tomorow.