[josm-dev] Crtl-O used twice

Henry Loenwind henry at loenwind.info
Sun Sep 21 23:34:40 BST 2008

Christoph Eckert wrote:

> Ctrl-O, usually used to open files in many programs, is occupied by "Create
> Circle". Maybe it could be moved to Ctrl-0 (zero) instead.

0 is not really good, as the user won't be able to see it from the menu
entry. What about Shift-O? That one is still unused.

BTW: The whole shortcut handling is rather ugly. I just put "write a
shortcut manager" on my todo list. Maybe next weekend...

cu
Henry

PS: Ideas for the shortcut manager (additions welcome):

* classification of shortcuts (painting command (a/s/d), system commands
(open, save, help), menu commands (download, export), function shortcuts
(toggle history/layers/properties))

* automatic selection of modifier key (none/shift/ctrl/command/alt/...)
according to classification and platform (Crtl-O on Win, Cmd-O in OSX)

* automatic mapping of system commands to the platform's standard
shortcuts (help is F1 on Win but Cmd+? on OS X)

* automatic conflict handling (second painting command to request "O"
will get "Shift-O" instead)

* manual override (a.k.a. configurable shortcuts)

* proper shortcut to text rendering for all keys on all platforms
(LiveGPS:Auto-Center is rendered as "$" currently, correct would be
"Home" (en) or "Pos1" (de) on Windows or Cmd-Symbol + Home-Symbol on OS
X. Oops? Is it home or ctrl-home on Win???)

BTW: I need some Linux input here---where does it differ from Win? (none
of my Linux systems has a GUI <g>)