[josm-dev] Commit message not empty

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:26:50 BST 2009

2009/4/23 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:

> Almost worthless, I'm sorry to say. Any automatic message can just as well
> be filled in later by some automatism on some server that compiles and
> anlyses changesets. What we're after is the "human" bit that no machine can
> replace!

A little harsh :(

Lest I've been misunderstood... That you could retrofit such an
automated message is clear. For me, the value of computing it at
commit time is that it can be shown to the mapper as a default. The
intention being to trigger the following kinds of thoughts that he
would not think if faced with an empty text field:

* Oh, I can add a comment.
* Ah, so that's what comments are for.
* Ugh! That commit message is a bit crap. I'll replace it with a better one.
* No, my edits aren't centred on Mistfeld, I was actually mapping mole
tunnels, I should make that clear.

Now, if we think a default message wouldn't have this effect, then I
certainly don't think we should add one just for the sake of the
information it would add to the log.

Dermot