[josm-dev] Commit message not empty

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Apr 24 18:04:59 BST 2009

Ulf Lamping wrote:
> There is *no* problem to add a changeset to an online editor. This
> is  simply just another indication that the potlatch model of not
> having a "Save" button is the wrong way to go IMHO.

For the record this isn't "the potlatch model". It's the Java applet model.
Most of you kids are probably too young to remember the Java applet -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Java_Applet .

In other words, Potlatch does it this way largely because its predecessor
did the same. If I were writing Potlatch from scratch I'd certainly have an
offline-then-save mode (probably default, but with the current behaviour
available optionally). But we are where we are and it isn't easy to
retrofit, largely because you have to do conflict management, and in a
newbie-friendly editor, it's important that said conflict management doesn't
suck in the way that conflict management always sucks. Patches are, of
course, always welcome.

cheers
Richard