[josm-dev] Special Character Problem

Stephan osm at stephans-server.de
Sun Aug 16 21:25:27 BST 2009

Sebastian Waschik wrote:
> $ javac SaxTest2.java && java -cp "$PWD":/usr/share/java/xercesImpl.jar SaxTest2 broken.osm
> String values (4): d800 df34 d800 df37

I don't think josm is including a private copy of xerces. So it will use
the one provided by sun.

Using -Djaxp.debug=1 it prints the used factory. Here it's
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl

and that one seams to have a bug in the implementation.

It's this version:
java.exe com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.Version
Xerces-J 2.6.2

Supplying the xerceximpl.jar in the classpath causes this version to be
used:
Xerces-J 2.9.1

I suggest filing a bug report on sun and until fixed require a recent
xerces implementation available on the host.

This problem is very likely affecting all Java-tools working on osm-data
with this sax-parser.

Stephan