[josm-dev] Spam in Trac

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Aug 23 21:11:02 BST 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Sebastian Waschik wrote:

>> I think we see the first beginnings of a new SPAM area.
>
> Some wikis use a capcha if you add many links.  But this spam even use
> only one url: This is rare today (but not tomorrow).

I know. But currently (after a lot of training and finetuning as well as
bugfixing in the spam filter) our misdetection rate is very low and I did
not want to introduce one more step making the Trac more complicated.

And also I fear the time of captchas will be over very soon as well. There
are already a lot of captchas which are better machine than human
readable.

Currently I have the same problem with my mail spam filter, where I get
more and more properly and well formed SPAM mails which slip through the
filters. Anti-SPAM mechanisms worked more reliable last time and SPAMMERS
increase their efforts. This will be a never ending fight I fear.