[josm-dev] Geometric calculations and projections

Robert Scott lists at humanleg.org.uk
Tue Dec 8 20:21:56 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
> I did the same, aprox. a year ago, but I don't have a clue, how
> to implement it in JAVA.

Neither did I. I'm a c++ programmer, I just dived straight in. It's pretty straightforward, but painfully long-winded in areas for a higher-level language.

> 3D-geometry is pretty complex,

For a lot of things it really isn't. It's just linear algebra.

There are some corners where things can get complicated when dealing with ellipsoid geometry, but that can be figured out or we can compromise and put some spherical approximations in until someone comes along who cares enough about micro-accuracy to do it properly.

> The problem is, formulars of surviyors only work on 2D, so we've
> got to reinvent these for 3D ;-)

What formulas of surveyors do we need? How many mappers do we have with theodolites who know how to use them?

robert.