[josm-dev] I've added a new "mappaint.profiler" option

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:11:06 GMT 2009

Hi!

While I'm currently looking how to improve the mappaint performance, Ive
added a new boolean "Einstein option": mappaint.profiler (default: false).

If you set this option to true, each mappaint repaint will put on the
console the time to draw and the number of elements, this will look like:

Mappaint Profiler
Prepare  :   16ms
Relations:    0ms, n=97
Areas    :   78ms, n=563
Ways     :  172ms, n=10945
Selected :    0ms, n=0
Nodes    :  109ms, n=21033
All      :  375ms

This already helped me to identify some performance bottlenecks, and I
guess this can help users to quantify their experience e.g. while
discussing on the ML.

I'm currently looking how to improve the performance (without
rewriting/redesigning lot's of stuff) and already found some interesting
things, more on that later ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: I've tried the JAVA Profiler jrat first, but wasn't really
satisfied with the output, so I've "hardcoded" this into JOSMs
visitAll() method.