[josm-dev] JOSM Fail

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:21:27 GMT 2009

On 1/16/09, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-gis-osm-josm-dev at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:08:35PM +0100, Pieren wrote:
>
>>> +1 for making this harder to activate (separate mode, ctrl+drag,
>>> whatever). It's pretty annoying when trying to select a region in a
>>> densely mapped area.
>> -1
>> I'm moving ways. I cannot say "every day" but I move ways when I:
>> - improve roundabouts (position, circle)
>> - draw dual carriageways (copy, paste, reverse, move)
>> - draw areas like buildings or parks
> How would e.g. having to press Ctrl in addition to dragging impact your
> workflow?
> I don't see why you're opposed to making it harder to _unintentionally_
> using it.

Where is the limit of making harder commands for _intentional_ actions
just to prevent _unintentional_ actions ? It is very hard to find the
right balance between newcomers and experimented users. I have no
definitive answer on that.
But for instance, I find sometimes a way and some of its nodes with
the same tag (e.g. oneway=true). This was clearly _unintentional_ and
we could also want JOSM to prevent adding tags on objects when nodes
and ways are selected... except if you press Ctrl-alt-shift or
whatever.
But I could also imagine a preference flag making the commands much
less flexible as it is today,  "a la Potlatch" ;-)

Pieren