[josm-dev] Cleaning up the motd

Shaun McDonald osm at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Jan 23 12:32:55 GMT 2009

On 22 Jan 2009, at 22:29, Detlef Reichl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 22.01.2009, 22:45 +0100 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ulf Lamping wrote:
>>>>

>>> Please go on!
>>>
>>> I would say that having 4-5 (depending on the text length) motd is
>>> ok,
>>> more is problematic:
>>>
>>> a. doesn't fit on a smaller screen (as you've said)
>>> b. if it's too much no one will really read the messages
>>
>> JOSM could also record the items already shown, and just show those
>> that
>> are new.

I would say show them at least 10 times, and at least the last 3, with
some extra special important messages shown for longer.

> Also it would be nice, it the motd would get downloaded
> asynchronously.

+1

When I was on a really slow internet connection over Christmas, is was
better for me to not have an internet connection than to have the
really slow internet connection, which stalled the startup of JOSM.

Shaun