[josm-dev] Slower upload of .osm after progress indicator added?

Tyler tyler.ritchie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 07:21:28 BST 2009

Hello all,

I think--but I'm not sure--that the addition of the progress indicator (yay
progress indicator!) may have slowed down uploads. I did a pretty
substantial 90,000 node upload a while back and it took ~4.5 hours. I'm
currently using 1720 and it takes ~12 hours for 50,000 nodes. JOSM seems to
be handling edge cases much better than any of the bulk upload scripts at
this point and 4.5 hours wasn't that bad but 12 hours to upload 5 mb of data
seems a bit high even with an upload of 1 megabit (and all of the overhead
for does this node exist, no? make the node, the new node number is ##).
I can't imagine the math done for the progress bar is slowing things down
that much and I've only just begun checking out the sources and I'm not
particularly skilled with Java (as in, very very unskilled) so I thought I
would check to see if either A) I'm just wrong and my estimate for the
original upload of 90,000 nodes was wrong or B) anyone had any insight as to
what might be slowing things down.

I'll see about running some benchmarks tomorrow with whatever latest is then
(I see 1721 was committed) and a build from a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks,

Tyler