[josm-dev] .jar file size is too big

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Jul 17 11:10:22 BST 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> Well, until someone presents an overly clever system to handle the
>> language issue this is a yes/no question. Sorry. And I don't know other
>> software where this is solved better.
>
> For OpenOffice, I have to install a separate language pack if I want i18n.

Yes. And you need to install OpenOffice. You can't use it like JOSM from
scratch.

> If we think that this is too much to ask of people, then I suggest that
> we have one default JOSM jar file which supports all languages (with
> roughly 5000 languages worldwide, this file would ultimately be 1 GB in
> size), and then create slimmed-down one-language-only jar files for the
> most popular languages.

OpenOffice has a wide usage and for openSUSE11.1 I count 54 languages
supported where each has 1.8MB in bzip2 compressed mode. There will never
be 5000 languages for JOSM and you know that. Please don't start silly
number games, as I wont continue discussion in this case. A number of
about 70 is the maximum which probably can be reached for very popular
projects.

The OpenOffice size is a BIG difference to 3MB for all 27 languages in
JOSM currently and all of these individually compressed in zip mode which
reduces compression ratio a lot.

For OpenOffice one best compressed language pack is as big as one of the
core programs. For JOSM all language data is as big as the application.

And the possibility to use tools in your own language increases the
usability a lot. I wont drop that without a real good reason. A feeling is
not enough for that.