[josm-dev] "Add nodes" functionality changed?

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Mar 10 08:05:32 GMT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Maarten Deen wrote:

> Dirk Stöcker wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, David Earl wrote:
>

>> You have 3 ways to replace this:
>> a) Press <ESC> instead of Shift
>> b) Press <U> instead of Shift
>> c) Double-Click to end drawing a node.
>>
>> Methods a and b are long-time and only c is new.
>
> These are all workable, but require extra clicks or keypresses after the click
> and therefore make the process slower.

Sorry, but you should try before talking. You can press <ESC> and <U> the
same way as you did with <SHIFT>. There is no difference. And when you now
tell me that the distance on the keyboard is to large, you can reassign
<U> and <Y>.

>> So the question really is, why do we need 4 ways for one function? I
>> think 3 are enough. Especially as the SHIFT-Modifier has not been removed
>> only to remove it, but has got a new meaning.
>
> It's certainly not that we need multiple ways for one function, it's more that
> the "easy way" to do something all of a sudden vanished. And as people are a
> lazy bunch, we don't want to do anything more that we used to. ;)

For me your comments really look like "I want my old way and don't even
want to try others."

It is not that you would need to change your way of work totally - it is
only a "press another key".