[josm-dev] JOSM and the future

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu Mar 19 19:51:21 GMT 2009

Hello,

as I'm in the mood to destroy old behaviour (current JOSM anyway breaks
again due to some changes) I decided to fix the MOTD issue.

We now no longer have a MessageOfTheDay but a StartupPage. This page is
automatically created based on "StartupPageSource" which contains ALL data
in the same page. This hopefully will reduce the problems of main page and
translation drifting away (but also the source page looks a little bit
more complex and you can't preview it really good).

Nevertheless the MOTD loading in JOSM is now also much easier and we
again can use all wiki style stuff (as the page is completely rendered by
the wiki).

I copied all texts from EN, DE and FR to the new page (there is also an
VersionHistory and VersionHistorySource for old text BTW).
I will continue to copy old stuff next week when not done until then ;-)

There is a description at the page start how the page layout works. Should
be pretty easy to understand with the existing examples.

Old pages for DE,FR,EN have been set readonly (or deleted when no longer
accessable for JOSM). This stuff will be deleted in some weeks.

A change resulting from that: The MOTD is no longer version depending.
This means older JOSM's will also see newer texts. I consider this a
feature instead of a bug!