[josm-dev] New GPX implementation

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 6 00:02:00 BST 2009

Hi,

Henrik Niehaus wrote:
> At the moment JOSM puts most of the GPX elements into a map like
> (tag_name, value). If the user decides to write the file back to disk
> the order of the elements is random. So there is a good chance that you
> get an invalid file.

That could be trivially fixed by using a LinkedHashMap which preserves
order, could it not?

> I decided to rewrite the GPX code, because I had a look at the old one
> and tried to solve some tickets from trac.
> The effort to make the old code compatible with the GPX standard is very
> high and you will probably end up with messy code. In my opinion, the
> current code is not suitable for the GPX standard.

What exactly is the use case for supporting the "GPX standard" and
writing GPX files? Who uses it, and what for (or if it currently is so
broken that it isn't usable then who would like to use it and what for)?

Bye
Frederik