[josm-dev] Please add the walkingpapers description to the scan-info section in the HTML source for JOSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 11 20:17:37 GMT 2009

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> That's a non sequitur actually, the git-svn frontend is conduit
> between SVN and has its limited uses but converting between
> centralized and distributed version control is always going to be a
> case of casting a square peg into a round hole.

I don't have much git clue but some may remember that JOSM was in git,
briefly, when Gabriel Ebner did his work on dropping segments.

Conceptually, what would be the difference between putting JOSM on git
and putting it on the project-wide SVN altogehter? If the main advantage
of git is that it would become easier for "anyone" to contribute even if
no maintainer has the time to review a patch, then the same could be
achieved by going the same way that almost all other OSM applications go
and put it on svn.openstreetmap.org - couldn't it?

Also, if we were to use git, would we depend on a third-party service
like "github", or is git also usable (in a sensible way) without such a
site?

Bye
Frederik