[josm-dev] JOSM Tested! [#3772 - Help browser calling external program]

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Nov 28 08:08:32 GMT 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Sebastian Klein wrote:

>> Jiri fixed #3920. Means #3772 is left.
>
> What is the problem with launching the help browser as a new process?
> Seems fine to me.

a) Security issues. When you launch an application you must be sure it is
really the right one.
b) Installation issues. Java must be installed in a way, that you can
launch it.
c) Does not work in Webstart variant or as applet.

> from the ticket:
> > Idea how to solve: Set help dialog modal and modal dialog non-modal
> when help from modal dialog is called.
>
> I think a modal help dialog is not so good, because users like to keep
> it open in the background for future reference.

But it is the only solution I can think of which works. And closing the
help dialog to continue is much better than introducing lots of design
trouble.

Whenever we switch to Java 6, we can solve that issue with different modal
modes as supported by Java 6.