[josm-dev] Jave 5 and help browser issue

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Nov 28 13:20:22 GMT 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Sebastian Klein wrote:

>> a) Security issues. When you launch an application you must be sure it is
>> really the right one.
>
> Isn't it similarly insecure to run binary plugins that are located in
> the user's home folder?

To a certain degree yes.

>> b) Installation issues. Java must be installed in a way, that you can
>> launch it.
>
> True, but shouldn't be a problem in practice. (There are java apps that
> are run by a script. They must have figured this out somehow.)

There is already one report for this issue which means this is a real
problem.

>> c) Does not work in Webstart variant or as applet.
>
> That's a problem... How many Webstart users are there? One could simply
> redirect the help to a browser window for these people. (Or use modal
> help for webstarters only.)

About 4700 webstart accesses in last 3 weeks.

>> Whenever we switch to Java 6, we can solve that issue with different modal
>> modes as supported by Java 6.
>>
> Btw. may I ask what are the main reasons for using Java 5? (Other than
> support users that haven't updated their Java for 3 years.)

Good question.

Current stats (about 3 weeks):
  5 ( 1137,  4%)
  6 (23625, 95%)
  7 (   57,  0%)

Java 5 is not really an issue anymore. Probably we should consider
switching to version 5.