[josm-dev] Switch to Java 6?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Nov 28 13:53:31 GMT 2009

On 28/11/2009 13:32, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now that stats show that only about 4% of all josm users use still Java
> 1.5 and we have some problems which cannot be solved in a nice way with
> this version we may think about switching to Java 6.
>
> So the questions is:
> Do we want to switch to Java 6 after the next tested release has been
> published? Pro? Contra?

Won't this completely kill some Mac users? I believe Snow Leopard (10.6)
has finally reached Java 6, but Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (which is still
widely used) doesn't have a Java 6 release at all. And it's no good
saying "upgrade to 10.6" because Mac Minis and other machines only have
0.5GB memory and the base for 10.6 is 1GB, so upgrades on really very
recent hardware are virtually impossible.

David