[josm-dev] Please invest some time into documentation - especially confilict resolution

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Oct 4 21:50:22 BST 2009

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, David Earl wrote:

>> Josm Docu isn't really important. most functions are self explaining.
>
> Absolute nonsense. Just look at the comments new people make - they are
> overwhelmed and confused by JOSM. It's only self explaining if either
> you already know what you're doing or if you are able to put yourself in
> the thought process of the developers, which many programmers can do,
> but not those who don't have that way of thinking.

The question is if documentation helps here. My father learned to use JOSM
usage by trial and error (and with a little help from me - at a time where
JOSM was new to me as well). I don't think he ever looked at the JOSM
beginners pages at OSM wiki (which I think aren't that bad).

> It's almost never impossible to underestimate the depth of ignorance of
> someone coming to something new, and it's not their fault.

True. But I do not believe documentation helps here. At work I must write
documentation and also there people don't read it. They rather call me and
ask.