[josm-dev] make slippy map a core feature

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 11 11:31:44 BST 2009

Hi,

Is it just me, or is the slippy map plugin a pain to work with? It lags
on my system and is a memory hog.

WMS is better, but it's not designed for changing the zoom levels
dynamically. (And it has some dependencies.)

In contrast to that, the slippy map in the download dialog is just great
- fast and reliable. I'd like to have that for the main map as well!

It would be nice if it was in the core version, i. e. View -> Add slippy
map layer.

Too decrease the network traffic one would then need a disk cache, but
make the tiles expire after approx. one hour and on demand. The cache
would be useful for offline mapping at holidays, as well.

Any thoughts / objections on that, before I start working on it?

___

Sebastian