[josm-dev] Best practice: offline mapping?

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:14:58 GMT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:30 PM,  <stefan at binaervarianz.de> wrote:
> As I have a netbook with me which could run JOSM, I could edit live or at
> least at the end of each day. This would keep the frustration level low.
> But here is why I ask this here too (and not only in my openstreetmap
> diary): Is it possible to download the osm data for my travel region
> beforhand,
> make edits to it (or to a new layer), and than merge these data back into
> the (possible changed over time) osm data on the server?
>
> Is the conflict resolution/checking engine usable to actually fix the
> conflicts, or is it just that it tells me 'forget it'?

Well where are you traveling to? Unless it's a heavily edited OSM area
you're unlikely to get any conflicts at all. And JOSM has some very
nice "upload selection" features and conflict resolution in more
recent versions which should make uploading back very easy indeed.

You can download the data for your region in advance e.g. here:
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/

If I was doing this I'd have the .osm file I was working on in some
version control system while working on it. Git is very good for this
purpose but you may be familiar with others that could suit you
better.