[josm-dev] Change to changeset comment handling, RfD

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 3 21:31:33 BST 2010

Am 03.08.2010 17:10, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> Julien Balas wrote:
>> I prefere some new data and no comment rather than... nothing.
>
> See, that's the difference between the "data is more important" and the
> "community is more important" view. I think that the people count more
> than the data they contribute, and if their attitude towards the
> community is "I have better things to do than explain my mapping to you
> geeks", then I'd rather not have their data.

Fine, so why don't you start your own project and *then* pick the
community you like? Remember, OSM is a project to build a free map of
the world, not to build a nice community of people sharing the ideas of
Frederik.

> Of course not everybody who doesn't use changeset comments is arrogant
> and selfish - to be arrogant and selfish you must first know that
> comments are important for the community and *then* ignore that wish,
> and until now, it seems, not everybody knows that.

You failed to explain why changeset comments are soooo important to the
community, that it justifies to offend our fellow mappers that not share
your point of view.

You call people arrogant, selfish and that "they misbehave" - people
that probably provided a large portion of what is now the community
you're talking about.

Is it really your strategy to offend anyone not sharing your point of
view and build a community on top of that?

Regards, ULFL