[josm-dev] Change to changeset comment handling, RfD

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi
Wed Aug 4 06:01:42 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 08:08:56PM -0400, Anthony wrote:
>> The quality of my own changeset comments is absolutely irrelevant in
>> this discussion; let's assume, if it gives you pleasure, that they
>> are all just "...". That might discredit the messenger, but not
>> change anything about the message. I think that it is important to
>> keep the two separate, the message and the messenger.
>
>"minor haiti geometry repair"
>"fix source typo"
>"fix self-intersecting boundary"
>"move lake from one relation to other"
>"remove forest self-intersection"
>
>Is that you?

Being a programmer and a daily user of version control systems, I share
Frederik's view that some effort should be made to write good changeset
comments. They can be useful later, say, after several months or years.

Of the above comments, I think that the first one is questionable,
almost as bad as the "fixes" or "adjustments" regularly written by some
long-time contributors. The remaining ones are descriptive, if the
changesets contain just that (e.g., replace source=lndsat with
source=Landsat, fix polygons or multipolygons). Nobody is perfect, at
least not all the time. :-)

	Marko