[josm-dev] Change to changeset comment handling, RfD

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Aug 4 15:06:22 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Arguably, the changeset comment could be split up in a number of individual
> tags. Currently, people use it for different things - they say something
> about the source, about their method, about where they worked, about why
> they changed something, or about whether or not the area still needs work...
> again, as long as we have difficulty in even getting people to describe
> their edits in *one* tag, it might be too much to ask of them if we asked
> them to fill in a *number of tags* in a structured manner. I think it would
> be counter-productive at this time.

I'm not in favor of the software asking people to do anything.
Rather, its purpose is to provide them a mechanism to do what it is
they want to do.

That includes informing them of features they might not be aware of.
But not being obnoxious about it.

Anyway, if you want people to tell you their source, you're better off
labeling a text box with "provide a source" than "provide a brief
comment".