[josm-dev] control characters in config file

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 29 14:54:02 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 12/29/10 14:34, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> I don't know how to enter it by hand. I always used copy&paste :-)

When I use the standard way of copy+paste under X - mouse select, then
middle mouse button, no key presses - this results in a double ^ and not
the desired 0x1e. In fact even fumbling with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V does
nothing for me (typical application: "grep something .josm/preferences"
in one window, with an editor open in another window ready to add
whatever line the grep finds).

You are right in that this procedure is likely to break other utf-8
characters as well. Strangely, in *my* .josm/preferences, the only
character that breaks is the record separator.

>>> I really did think a lot about what record separation we should use and
>>> the 0x1E is the best we can reach without going to a XML format
>>
>> I disagree. I think that a semicolon is better than 0x1e.
>
> Well, we had lot of troubles with comma and semicolon, but till now
> there was no trouble with the 0x1E, so I assume you are wrong here.

Well if you really didn't have any escaping then of course one would
have more problems with characters that occur more often. But now that
the config handling is nicely encapsulated, it should be easy to handle
escaping properly, so any character can be used as a "record separator".

Bye
Frederik