[josm-dev] Changes recorded by JOSM when changing a key

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 8 12:40:46 GMT 2010

Hi,

Dirk Stöcker wrote:
>> a) What would be the easiest way to find out which (other) changes I
>> might have messed up yesterday (looking for date:yesterday,
>> submitter:neufeind and "<different>" somewhere in the values) and how to
>> revert those changes?
>
> Ask Frederik Ramm. He usually helps to revert such bad errors. He will
> probably also be able to find other changesets with same error.

I don't know if I should feel pleased to be recommended as the first
port of call for OSM wreckage of any kind ;-) here's a few tips how such
a situation could be investigated.

If you know the date, then you can download the daily change file, in
this case

http://planet.openstreetmap.org/daily/20100207-20100208.osc.gz

and either work on that with plain old grep, or use the slightly more
comfortable oscgrep.pl (from
/svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/filter/oscgrep) which lets you
do this:

perl oscgrep.pl -a modify -r 'user="neufeind".*different'
20100207-20100208.osc.gz

to find all objects which user "neufeind" modified and tagged with
something that included "different".

In this case we find that you have tagged 2201 objects with
"bridge=<different>" (and no other ...=different). Strangely, 2152 of
them are nodes, and only 49 are ways.

All this happened in changeset 3818805.

I started the process of reverting those changes, but of course this
will revert objects to their old and also broken state. (Many of the
2152 nodes probably shouldn't have the bridge tag at all - perhaps,
rather than a wholesale replacement, these should be checked individually.)

But you are not alone, there are 364 "bicycle=<different>", 174
"building=<different>", 241 "highway=<different>", 343
"lanes=<different>", 1138 "waterway=<different>" and a lot of other
things as well.

I particularly like the 19 occurrences of
"source=<different>;extrapolation from DOP" which show that automatic
concatenation of tag values with a semicolon is perhaps not ideal.

Bye
Frederik