[josm-dev] Introduce versioning scheme

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:41:52 GMT 2010

Karl Guggisberg wrote:
> Hi Sebastian
>
> Absolutely. That's one of the things we should do in the next release:
> * proper release naming
> * proper labeling in SVN
>
> I came up with a slightly different naming scheme, though. If we want to
> be understood by users with less technical background a release name
> "0.10.1-r1566" could be quite cryptic.

Yes, it looks a little cryptic like that, but you can write it shorter:

  JOSM 0.16

or more verbose:

  JOSM 0.16 (3rd revision, build 2561)

> Why not simply call it "2010.01"
> (first release in 2010), 2010.02, etc. ? There won't be more than 4
> releases a year anyway. I don't really see the need for a version number
> with three levels of increments. See for instance Ubuntu release
> numbering:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/about-ubuntu/C/version-numbers.html

Your scheme is simple and solid. We should avoid however, that 2010.02
gets misinterpreted as the February release of 2010. (Maybe write it as
2010.2 or 2010-v2)

Note that Ubuntu has scheduled releases, they use the year and the month
to denote the version. But that shouldn't stop us to use the year and an
incremented number.

The bug fixing releases still need to be named somehow. It should be
easily recognizable on the main page, that an update of the current
release is available.

__

Basti