[josm-dev] Introduce versioning scheme

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Feb 9 12:18:04 GMT 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Sebastian Klein wrote:

> Do you write software for the packager or for the user? I'm sure you can
> hack a little perl script to make this more convenient.

The same issues I have as packager apply to the user. He has to fiddle
around as well when name constantly changes (e.g. in download scripts).

> It is actually nice to have the version number in the file name. This
> way you can check for necessary update more easily and it is simple to
> collect old versions.

Everybody can collect old versions by simply renaming them himself and
also download them from server. We have lots of way to check for new
software. Everything said here only makes it more complicated.

>> BTW: You can download the snapshot files which include version.
>
> So it is all set up? Then we just need to link to it. :)

Well actually this is the way it works. We have snapshots including
version and soft-links called latest and tested, which link to a certain
version. Why should I introduce another name including a version? We
already have these.