[josm-dev] Java 1.5 versus 1.6

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Feb 14 02:04:48 GMT 2010

Henry,

Henry Loenwind wrote:
> Java 1.6 still is not available for all platforms that run 1.5. And it
> seems that won't change---so with going to 1.6 you'd lock out all Mac
> users but those with a 64-bit Intel processor. In my opinion its still
> too early to lock out all those 32bit Intel processor (e.g. Core Duo)
> users without any real reason.

I have no sympathy for Mac users. It is fine for them to voluntarily
chain themselves to one supplier. It is fine for them to keep their old
hardware for which said supplier refuses to release new software. All
their decision. But I don't see why we should hold back with sensible
advancements just because these people have got a bad deal from their
one and only beloved vendor. We should not allow Apple's product
strategy to have an influence on JOSM development.

Bye
Frederik