[josm-dev] Next release end of February: status update

Karl Guggisberg karl.guggisberg at guggis.ch
Tue Feb 16 11:04:29 GMT 2010

Hi,

work on the next JOSM release scheduled for end of February is
progressing well, see
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/Release-2010-01.

Currently, there are five defects flagged as "release blocker" (i.e.
they should be fixed before the next release because they affect basic
and often used features or because they might lead to lost or corrupt
data), down from 20 "release blocker" in total.

Work on translations is going well too. Sebastian is frequently
synchronizing launchpad and the JOSM source tree. Currently, there are <
20 messages not translated yet in German. Are there other languages
targeting 100% translation converage for the next release too?

We had some discussions on this list whether the announced switch to
Java 1.6 is reasonable or not. My impression is, that there is consensus
in the JOSM community that the migration makes sense, even though there
are a few users who won't be happy with a new, Java 1.6 based JOSM
(mainly users of Mac OSs withouth support for Java 1.6).

Based on a thread on this list I've written down a proposal for a future
Build and Release Number scheme, see
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/ReleaseNumbers. I've
tried to summarize the discussion in the thread but the final proposal
is obviously biased toward what I like most. Please post to this list if
you have any objections or leave a note on the wiki. If this proposal
was to be followed the next release would be named *JOSM 10.1*.

Regards
Karl