[josm-dev] Problem with large changeset

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Jul 4 22:52:42 BST 2010

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010, Alan Mintz wrote:

> During the recent maintenance, I worked on tracing/moving a number of
> mountain roads. Normally, I'd have uploaded every couple hours to avoid
> conflicts, but in this case, that was not possible because the database was
> still read-only.
>
> At Sun, 04 Jul 2010 09:28:05 +0000, I opened the saved file with JOSM and
> attempted to upload it. The dialog says "Uploading 4665 objects...
> Successfully opened changeset 5131096". Figuring it might take a while, I
> went to sleep. The dialog is still there, 11 hours later. Looking at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/5131096 , it says the changeset
> was closed about an hour after opening. The total number of nodes, ways, and
> relations equals the 4665 in JOSM's upload status dialog.

This much looks like everything was ok, but the server answer somehow got
lost. This sometimes happens. I'm not sure if it is a server or a JOSM
error (or both?).

> What should I do?

Call the update function from first menu (e.g. Update changed). This
should update everything relevant (save before) and reducing the number of
changes. New elements are probably not detected properly. But at least
after the update you can verify if your work was uploaded completely or
not.

You can also use the changeset editor of JOSM to review your changeset
itself.

Or you download the area (after saving state) and verify if you changes
look complete.

In case of a partial upload you need to use validator to fix the
duplicates (everything you newly created).