[josm-dev] JOSM-Tested

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 14 03:41:45 BST 2010

Am 14.06.2010 00:45, schrieb Russ Nelson:
> Dirk Stöcker writes:
>   >  Everything you tell in your mail tells me several things:
>   >  a) You have absolutely no knowledge of JOSM release process
>
> There IS NO RELEASE PROCESS.  That's what I'm trying to tell you.  You
> don't do releases.  You just bless SVN versions.

Blessing SVN versions would already be one possible release process.
Even telling your users "use the latest SVN sources and compile your own
binary" *is* in fact a (the smallest possible?) release process - every
SVN version is it's own release.

BTW: Dirk does more than just blessing SVN versions.

Please replace your "JOSM don't have a release process" with "JOSM don't
have the release process I know from other projects / would like to see".

I know from my daily work that having such a classical release process
(that you seem to have in mind) can be a *lot* of additional effort.
Unless you have someone who wants to spend this effort in his spare time
/ get paid for it, the discussion about whats best for your users is
pretty much pointless.

I'm not argueing that the JOSM releases could possibly be improved, but
your "flame style" argumentation is not going to achieve a lot here ...

Regards, ULFL