[josm-dev] how does the transition to tested work ?

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:39:28 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 16:30, Dirk Stöcker <openstreetmap at dstoecker.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>>> for me this is really a bug not an enhancement. Josm is used for semi
>>> automatic imports a lot and this creates big mess of duplicates on
>>> server/network interrupts. I know it wasn't designed for that but Josm is
>>> just such a great workhorse.
>>> on normal editing this can leave a user with  conflicts after a partial
>>> upload, maybe we should add a comment that uploads should be done in 1
>>> transaction only until this bug is fixed.
>>>
>>> Anyway thanks for the great work and it's better to have a stable again.
>>> Josm is improving big with every release:)
>>
>> The problem with recommending that is that the only reason for using
>> one object at a time uploading is to narrow down conflicts you may be
>> having, right now due to this bug at the cost of adding lots of
>> duplicates to the database.
>
> To have better conflict solving you may use "Update modified" from first
> menu. This will produce all conflicts in one single run and allows them to
> fix in one go.

Yes, but due to the bad interface for conflict resolution in JOSM this
isn't an option sometimes. There isn't support for mass-resolution of
similar conflicts (I've filed bugs for this) so you run into
situations where you can either:

   * Solve 300 conflicts which are of the same nature manually. Which
requires for each one:
     1. Click on an item in the conflict list
     2. Move to tags/whatever in the dialog
     3. Click merge your/remote changes
     4. Apply
     5 Repeat

After I'm done with that I'll have manually clicked UI elements at
least 300*4 times or so.

So instead of doing that when I run into it I just cut my losses and
try to upload at least /some/ of my data. I do this by turning on
single-object upload, trying to select subsets of the dataset and see
if I can upload them without conflicts.