[josm-dev] how does the transition to tested work ?

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:04:59 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 16:59, Dirk Stöcker <openstreetmap at dstoecker.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>>> To have better conflict solving you may use "Update modified" from first
>>> menu. This will produce all conflicts in one single run and allows them
>>> fix in one go.
>>
>> Yes, but due to the bad interface for conflict resolution in JOSM this
>> isn't an option sometimes. There isn't support for mass-resolution of
>> similar conflicts (I've filed bugs for this) so you run into
>> situations where you can either:
>
> Well, I think about a year ago we had NO working conflict resolution at all
> and I also think JOSM is the only editor which has that feature working
> reliable. So be happy you can click 300 dialogs :-)
>
> Beside that a semi-automatic conflict resolution for very common cases
> should be implemented. Probably we should add a "send workflow data to
> server" option, so we can get data about the real user needs (for these
> cases where users don't know at all what the would like to have).
>
> We already have rudimentary support (plugin list and version string) for
> such analysis and it influenced development already.

Sure. I know this is a hard problem to get right and we're all aware
of these issues already. I just wanted to point out why "Update
modified" isn't always what you want because you sometimes want to
explicitly avoid the conflict resolution and upload as much of what
you can from your local dataset.

In my experience if you get more than 30 conflicts in JOSM it's going
to be less work just to close JOSM and redo all your edits than
dealing with the resolving them (although I do save frequently).