[josm-dev] Painting

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Mar 9 17:47:23 GMT 2010

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Sebastian Klein wrote:

> I think we should cache all static data (osm objects, gpx layers, photo
> layer, ...) in a static cache that has to be marked as "dirty" if a
> repaint is needed. (E.g. when an object was deleted or layer visibility
> was toggled)
>
> Then the rest can be drawn on top like it is done now.
>
> Repainting is especially annoying when zooming and panning in a large
> dataset. For zooming there is not much we can do about it, but for
> panning it might be possible to reuse parts of the buffer by translating
> it accordingly.

There was already someone trying to do as you suggest approx 1.4 years
ago, but he had not the endurance to get it finished. The problem was that
the design did not really have an easy way for dirty marking and thus the
results to often got out of sync. But probably it is much easier than it
was a year ago.