[josm-dev] Another 66 relations bite the dust

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon May 10 14:57:26 BST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> But as a first resort, I'd encourage you to look at improving your
> presentation. I have JOSM 3094 and all that it tells me about upgrading
> is this (as the third item on the splash screen):
>
> "Active version '3094' should be updated! The current stable snapshot is
> 3208 and 3227 is the unstable development version."
>
> ...which is a really obscure statement likely to elicit "meh, whatever"
> from most non-developer users. What's an "Active version '3094'" when
> it's at home? What's a "stable snapshot" - a photograph of a horse? (And
> why the passive voice? Computer says it "should be updated". Well, jolly
> good, Mr Computer, go and update it then.)
>
> If, instead, it said as the _first_ thing on the page:
>
> "You are using an old version of JOSM with known bugs. Click here to
> download the latest version. This old version will stop working in five
> days."

I added a secondary more visible version check notice like you suggested.

Have a look at the start page yourself:

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/StartupPageSource

Improvements and suggestions welcome, it is a wiki.

> then maybe we would get somewhere. But the fact that you say "We still
> have a large number of old version (6 to 12 months old) floating around"
> shows that the current approach isn't working.

Nah. It suggests, that JOSM really is stable. The pressure to install new
versions is low, as old versions work really good (usually :-)

>> Well, Potlatch deleted every German name in Saxonia for one user when he
>> entered the Sorbian names. Was a lot of work to fix this as well (as he
>> did do multiple changesets). I still found two missing ones yesterday,
>> after nearly half a year.
>
> If you can cite changeset/object ids I'll look into it.

But as neither I nor the original author could reproduce it, I think it
was already fixed.