[josm-dev] Fwd: start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 26 21:36:17 BST 2010

Hi,

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> gwt is a java to javascript compiler that promises to allow us to port
> parts of the josm to an very thin client,
> i have the absolute basics (just points) being displayed now, check it out.

Forgive my being thick but I still don't see the point. Surely
Javascript that has been auto-generated from JOSM Java code will never
be able to match a proper editor devised in Javascript from the ground
up, and there have been impressive steps in that direction (chrschmidt's
OpenLayers based feature editor comes to mind).

If one wants more than that, one can run JOSM as an applet in the browser.

Is there really any hope that you will arrive at a anything remotely
usable by modifying JOSM so that it is a better basis for
auto-generating Javascript code? This sounds very much like wishful
thinking to me. I mean you're free to try of course, I'm sure it is an
interesting experiment ;-)

And Avar, if one wanted some kind of more or less clean engine/library
as a basis for other projects, JOSM would be the worst choice in my
eyes. Much better to start with either the JOSM-NG codebase or the
existing Java osmlib that has been built for Traveling Salesman!

Bye
Frederik