[josm-dev] Microsoft gains access to aerial imagery

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:44:31 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, Slippy Map supports tiles, wmsplugin doesn't.
>>>

> Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> wmsplugin fetches images from WMS in a tiled format.
>>

> Both correct - but people don't use the Slippymap or WMS plugins because
> they want to display tiles or a WMS source - they simply want to display a
> certain background layer, and how we do that for them they don't care.

Completely agree.

What do you think the architecture for such an "imagery plugin" would look
like?

There seem to be two methods of display that need to be handled: tiled (WMS
and Slippymap) and static image (ImageLayer). Could the ImageLayer plugin be
made to fit a tiled-image interface without causing too much trouble?