[josm-dev] WMSPlugin Update

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Wed Sep 1 17:25:51 BST 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Ian Dees wrote:

> Unless the plugin is stretching or reprojecting the image locally somehow,
> the WMS plugin will have to send the GetMap WMS request with an SRS set to
> whatever the projection is in JOSM (which causes the server to send back an
> image in the right projection). If JOSM has projection set to Mercator, it
> will build the URL with EPSG:3857. ... I think.

No it uses EPSG:4326 when Mercator is selected. The distortion resulting
from that is very low due to the tile mechanism and working at high zoom
levels.

This "silently assume Mercator is EPSG:4326" should also exist in the
future (except the WMS server has Mercator support, which is ignored ATM
- very few have).