[josm-dev] Illegal tag/value combination

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 15:48:33 BST 2011

2011/4/16 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> In every talk I hold on OSM I tell folks that in OSM, they can enter any tag
> they want. I wouldn't want them to turn to JOSM, enter a tag and the first
> thing they get is a message that this is unknown!

I think that most likely the first tag a user sets will be one of the
well known (observing new users I noticed that they used only the
presets). If you are confident enough to invent a tag you will also
not be surprised by an info message that tells you that JOSM doesn't
know the tag.

> Maybe we should have different sets of defaults. When someone fires up JOSM
> for the first time, they could be asked whether they want the newbie
> nannying set of defaults or not. I'm sure some people would want it as it
> gives them more security; other would prefer the less intrusive editor.

yes, good idea. I would implement this if I could ;-)

cheers,
Martin