[josm-dev] Changed presets, "contact"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 18 15:12:48 GMT 2011

Dirk,

On 12/18/2011 02:46 PM, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> Maybe I'm a bit over-sensitive ATM, but on one hand you blame me that
> JOSM depends too much on the server information and on the other hand
> you praise exactly these feature and would like to have them extended?

What I like is when this works in a peer-to-peer fashion. Someone posts
on the mailing list "here's my cool new preset", reader clicks a button
and loads it - from the author's server. No central server required.

What I don't like is when somebody who makes a new style has to upload
the style to a central location or publish the link at a certain
"official" location.

But I admit that this is a kind of romantic view because it assumes that
everyone easily has a server available where they could publish their
styles, and that information about available styles flows freely without
the need for a central directory. Both are a tad unrealistic.

In my ideal world, there would be many competing styles - basically
every power user would have "his" style, containing only the tags he
always uses, and other people could then choose to go with that person's
style.

What we currently have is users expecting there to be the "one true
style" provided by the JOSM team.

And I wasn't even criticising you, I just said that what I would like to
see seems to be different from what the users want.

Bye
Frederik