[josm-dev] Changed presets, "contact"

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Dec 18 21:50:38 GMT 2011

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> But I admit that this is a kind of romantic view because it assumes that
> everyone easily has a server available where they could publish their styles,
> and that information about available styles flows freely without the need for
> a central directory. Both are a tad unrealistic.

It is. I did not implement the Wiki-page presets/styles because I think
everything should be server centric. But because people want it that way.
We did setup the style/preset pages to link to external styles. But there
where not used this way. People attached files directly to the page and
then linked to it and the wiki methods are only the natural result of this
(which I BTW implemented only after I refused it several times). Only a
few files are really external. So most people probably don't share your
decentral opinion.

On the other hand we get bug reports for everything concerning JOSM and
for truly external stuff we can't fix the problems. Most things become
abandoned after a short time (have a look how many plugins are actually
assigned to the no-person "team") and the stuff in our influence at least
survives this point.

> What we currently have is users expecting there to be the "one true style"
> provided by the JOSM team.

That is a problem and I'm aware of it since the very beginning. That's why
I improved the whole server handling to the point we have now. But I can't
(and don't want to) change the people. If they want the "one JOSM preset",
then they should get the best we can provide and I think we did a pretty
good job till now.