[josm-dev] Stabilization ends

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Dec 18 22:17:05 GMT 2011

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011, Simon Legner wrote:

>> I know this delay is one of the drawbacks of our current development model
> Git or Mercurial as VCS could easily deal with a stable master branch,
> development/feature branches and dealing with hot fixes (see for example
> [1]).
>
> I don't know whether it is an option to migrate to another VCS (maybe in
> the corse of [2]) …

SVN can do the same (maybe not as good as git, but good enough). It is no
technical issue. The idea behind current model is to prevent the "may
others care for bugs, I care for new stuff" mentality of many projects I
know. If a developer wants to go on with new stuff he needs to make sure
that at end of stabilization phase the software really is stable. For JOSM
that seems to work pretty good (or we simply have the best developers of
the world :-)

So as long as the team is small enough that the current model works I
prefer it over others. If the number of developers gets 10 times as large
I happily switch to new methods required to handle this ;-)