[josm-dev] Make josm use .mo files

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Tue Dec 27 00:37:52 GMT 2011

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:24:35 +0100 (CET), Dirk Stöcker wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > it would be nice if JOSM used .mo files (installed
> > as /usr/share/locale/<code>/LC_MESSAGES/josm.mo), instead of
> > jar-embedded .lang files. Please read further.
>
> We dropped gettext files as they are wasting a lot of space in the
> translation. The lang files only carry each string once and not multiple
> times like .mo does.

What do you mean?
A gettext .mo file carries each string once -- a msgid + a msgstr. Maybe I
didn't understand what you meant? :)

(but I didn't notice .lang files were more "compact" than .mo, at least in
size, I admit it)

> > What do you think about this?
>
> Nothing, as it actually would be a step back. Thought as always Debian
> packagers can do what they want to do.

Sure, but it would really be best if I didn't have to patch the l10n system at
each release ;)

> Most of the advantages you describe can be reached by simply renaming the
> lang files to .mo and install them in different locations.

Is that doable? Maybe some property to pass to ant during the build? If you're
ok with that, I can try doing it (if I'm able to ;)).

> The only difference to mo is the file format (which does not matter, as most
> tools will not look into the files)

Probably there's no need to rename the files, but I need to check what FHS says
(btw I don't think it mandates translations to be gettext mo's)

> and the fact that en.lang must remain in any situation.

That's a minor drawback :)

Thanks for your reply,
David

--