[josm-dev] How do I add a new projection, EPSG:2924?

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Feb 8 13:43:53 GMT 2011

Hello,
I've gotten access to and permission to use a large set of maps in PDF
form for Virginia, USA, and I'd like to use the pdfimport plugin with
JOSM to help with importing the data. The projection is EPSG:2924 [1],
Virginia State Plane North/NAD83(HARN).

What's the best way to add this new projection? I believe I can't add
it as a plugin, like (epsg31287 [2]), because it won't be available to
the pdfimport plugin. However, since that plugin uses the jhlabs Java
Map Projection Library, which does support the Virginia State Plane
EPSG:2924, and it appears to be capable of being integrated with JOSM
through a custom build, I can just copy that code, modify it, and
build my own version of JOSM.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
-Josh

[1]: http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/2924/
[2]: http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/josm/plugins/epsg31287