[josm-dev] Mandatory login for JOSM wiki

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Feb 26 08:25:44 GMT 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>   with so many JOSM configuration details (list of imagery sources, list of
> map styles, and presets) now in the JOSM trac/wiki instead of in (either
> JOSM's or OSM's) SVN, I suggest that we disallow anonymous editing. There's
> now too much potential to wreak havoc and we wouldn't even know who did it.

No, we don't want that really. Anonymous editing is a major part of the
JOSM concept till now and most important contributions are anonymous or
not logged in and I spent really a lot of time into improving the Trac
spamfilter to be a usable tool to find potential issues.

Beside this Sebastian and I monitor every change afterwards and check if
they are dangerous or spammy.

Yes, there will be a time inbetween, when dangerous stuff can be included,
But this is a problem with OpenSource in general. Users who "Activate
everything as soon as they see it" will have problems, but any normal user
only activating extensions when really needing or wanting them will not
have any troubles.

The biggest and in my eyes only important issue is the possibility to have
malicious plugins and we can't anyway do anything against this without
preventing plugins.