[josm-dev] Creating relations with overlapped ways

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi
Fri Jan 7 13:14:45 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 10:34:34PM -0200, Flávio Henrique wrote:
>After some reading I'm in doubt: it's ok to have boundaries ways
>overlapped?

As far as I understand, it is considered bad style. That kind of mapping
was used when relations did not exist in OSM.

>I really need to create a relation when two boundaries shares the same
>location?

Yes. Define a way for each 'edge' and create one relation per area that
includes the ways that together represent the borders of the area.

As far as I understand, in Germany boundary=administrative relations are
defined similar to multipolygon relations. The JOSM Validator seems to
expect something like that, because it complains about the Finnish
administrative boundaries, such as the boundary of the city of Espoo,

Best regards,

	Marko